Aldi Sales for the week of Oct. 24- Oct 30.
(AS ALWAYS, this is NOT a complete list of items in ad ~ just some items that jumped out at me. Check out the complete ad here.)
* “Switch & Save” ~ that is the theme for the ad this week. Check it out here.
* Honey Crisp Apples. $2.49 per lb. A 3 lb. bag of Apples is $1.99. Caramel Apples, a 3 pack is $1.39. (Note: Apples are an optional ingredient for the recipe down below↓.)
*A 2 lb. bag of pears is $1.49.
* Grapes are 89¢ per lb. (Comes in a 2 lb. container.)
* Snag a pineapple for 99¢. Yum.
* Blueberry and Apple Pie Fillings are $2.49 each. (Note: Apple Pie Filling is an optional ingredient for the recipe below↓.)
* Dates are $1.99. (Note: Used for the recipe below↓.)
* Chocolate Chips ~ semi-sweet, butterscotch, white chocolate or milk chocolate are $1.29 for 11-12 oz. bags. 🙂
* Buttermilk Pancake Mix is $1.29 for a 32 oz. box.
* Holiday Baking Spices! It does NOT list which ones they have, but, needless to say ~ NOW is the time to stock up. Each container is $1.69.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Cheesecake + Apples + Oatmeal crumble + Caramel = yumminess.
Fall treats are fantastically delish!!!
* This recipe comes from my sis-in-law. I HOWEVER did not look at the recipe before shopping….which is against EVERY rule in the unwritten book of smartness. So I had to make my own crust (well….OK. I took the general recipe from a bar recipe from my grandma…..esshh. I cannot get away with anything!!) and my own apple pie filling. To follow her easier directions …..just……make these notes….
- Instead of my 1st 6 ingredients in the crust section, use 1 Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookie Mix.
- Instead of my Apple Pie Filling recipe, use 1-2 cans of Apple Pie Filling (I used about 3 c.)
* PLEASE note that these bars do get soggy sorta quickly, so be sure to make them no more than one day before you plan on serving them. (Tho we had NO problem eating them ALL up!)
* The recipe for Apple Pie Filling below will give you more than you need for this recipe….no worries, just eat it. Ha.
* I did not give you a measurement for cinnamon in the Apple Pie Filling, cause well, I have no idea how much I use…opps, sorry…a good good good shake for me, I like it cinnamony, but maybe you should start with a shake, taste and go from there ~ adding more if needed!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. quick oats
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter
Cream Cheese Filling :
16 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 c. sugar
2 TB. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
Apple Pie Filling :
7 apples, peeled, cored and cut up
3/4 c. sugar
3 TB. flour
good sprinkle of cinnamon
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 – 1/2 c. water
Caramel Drizzle, opt.
IF making your own pie filling, start with that so it has time to cool. Mix the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and 1/4 c. of water. Simmer over low heat till apples are tender and sauce has thickened. I usually end up adding another 1/4 c. of water. Cool. (At least to warm.)
Combine the crust ingredients, cutting in the butter as you would for a pie crust. Take out 1 1/2 c. of the crumbs, set aside. This will be for the topping. Press the remaining crumbs into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan. Bake @ 350° for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat the softened cream cheese till smooth. Beat in the sugar, flour, vanilla and egg till smooth. Pour over crust.
Top with about 3 c. of apple pie filling. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and bake for 35 – 40 more minutes.
Cool. Chill for at least 6 hours. Drizzle servings with Caramel Sauce IF you want to. Enjoy!!!
Thanks Mary for making these fabulous bars that made my husband say “hey, did you try these??? They are good. Real good.” ~ thanks for a stellar recipe!!
Date Nut Bread
1 cup chopped dates
Now. A Question. Speaking of “old-fashioned” ~ What modern convenience would you miss the most?? (Think about the “Little House, long skirts, sleeping under a handmade quilt, snuggling by the fire, make your own clothes” days… they really did NOT have any of the “luxuries that we enjoy. What would you miss??)
Oh….I guess that was not a food/recipe related question. How about another? What is YOUR favorite fall food??!!!??
:0) Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!! SORRY no prize involved, this is just for the shear fun of things!!