Aldi Sales and Recipe Ideas for the week of July 25 – July 31.
* 7-9 oz. Lunchmeat Tub Refills, ad says “Oven Roasted Turkey Breast” ~ though I am sure they have ham too. They are $2.29 each. Either the turkey or ham would be delicious in Meatloaf Cordon Blue.
* An 8 oz. pkg. of mushrooms is $0.69 each. Why not make a delicious Mushroom Side Dish? You can make it on your grill or on your stove top.
* A 3 pack of green peppers is $1.19! I like to add green peppers to Sweet & Sour Chicken.
* Their “Fit & Active” food line has lots of foods to try~ dressings ($1.29), lunch meats ($2.49), turkey franks ( $1.29, my kids did NOT notice a difference from regular Aldi hotdogs!), turkey bacon ($2.29, I NEED to give this a try! Has anyone tried it? Is it good, bad?), all kinds of frozen fruit/smoothie/yogurt bars, yum…($2.99), oh yeah ~ ever get “drinky” when shopping? Happens to us ALL the time, the Fit & Active flavored beverages are a great thirst satisfier, just be cautious when opening in your car after shopping….they DO fizz up…don’t say I didn’t warn you 🙂 (They are $0.69). The sugar-free drink mix is a great buy too! At $1.79 each, each container has 6 packs and makes a total of 12 quarts!
* OH and one of my favorite purchases AT Aldi is their large container of vanilla yogurt, something I nearly ALWAYS have on hand! I am going to share a recipe that uses the plain yogurt (the ad doesn’t actually mention plain yogurt, but they have ALWAYS had it so I am sure they still do!) ~ Cabbage Crunchy Apple Slaw. I am also going to share my recipe for granola and we always eat it over vanilla yogurt. The large 32 oz. containers are $1.99 each. See recipes below.
It is no secret that I am a veggie girl, a salad fan, a fruit fanatic, a choco-holic. Oh. This is a great salad. I made it in the morning the first time I made it, salad and dressing separate ~ then tossed it together just before dinner. Well, that was not right. It was good, but the flavors had not seeped into the cabbage. The next day we ate it again, and both my husband and I commented on how it was SO much better. So learn from my mistake and make it the night or morning BEFORE you eat it! It just gets better and better.
Cabbage Crunchy Apple Slaw
1 red apple
1 green apple (I actually just used one lg. green apple)
4 c. shredded cabbage (looks like I used the pre-shredded in the bag)
8 oz. can crushed pineapple, well-drained
1/2 c. celery (didn’t have to I skipped this)
1/4 c. pecans (I didn’t have so I used almonds)
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
Core and dice the apples up into nice small chunks. Combine the apples, cabbage, pineapple (drained), celery and pecans in a large bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together and add to the cabbage mixture. Toss together and chill at least 6 hours…. Enjoy this unique “slaw”!
Recipe from the cookbook “Our Favorites….With a Twist!”
Introducing my FAVORITE breakfast of choice, a breakfast all my kids enjoy and it is healthy to boot!! I make a lot of granola over here, was always pleased with the results. This time I wanted to try one that did not rely on so much honey ~ expensive or maple syrup ~ I am just really not a fan of maple. I was happy with the result, hope you all enjoy it too!
* I use mine if “parfaits” ~ just layer yogurt, granola and fresh fruit. Delish as breakfast or a snack. Oh, granola is a great snack to munch on during the day or before bedtime.
5 c. oatmeal (I use instant)
2 c. Cheerios or Rice Krispies
1 1/2 c. chopped nut of choice (I used walnuts)
1 c. wheat germ (or oat bran or wheat germ)
handful of flax seeds (opt.)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
Combine the oatmeal, Cheerios, nuts, wheat germ and flax seeds in a bowl. In a sauce pan heat the brown sugar, honey,syrup, oil and salt till melted and hot ~ no need to boil. Take off heat and add the vanilla. Pour over the oatmeal mixture and stir to coat, then pour onto a large cookie sheet pan with sides. (May use 2 cookie sheets if you need too.) Bake @ 300* for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Do check, it may cook quicker depending on how your oven bakes. Enjoy.